David Redor – Marathon 42 – Sunday, October 2, 2016, Portland, ME

David Redor – Marathon 42 – Sunday, October 2, 2016, Portland, ME

David Redor – Marathon 42 – Sunday, October 2, 2016, Portland, ME

by October 3, 2016 0 comments

Maine marathon: A beautiful scenic marathon in a very green state.

After the marathon in the Hamptons that I ran yesterday morning, I arrived in Portland, ME with the rain the same evening. After a good night’s sleep, here I was again ready to line up, this time for the Maine marathon. Three packets of Immun’Âge®, a banana and off I went! The bib pick-up and start were at a twenty-minute walking distance. It was very cold outside and I stayed as long as possible in the sports hall after I got my bib. The weather was the same as the day before in the Hamptons.

I walked to the start line at 7:30, left my bag at the Gear check and lined up with the huge number of participants that day.  Marathon, half-marathon and marathon relay started at 7:45. We started along the waterfront of the Back Bay area that surrounds Portland.  The view was beautifully scenic. I started with the same relaxed pace as yesterday and reached km 5 in 33 minutes. There were already a few steep uphills and this was just starting. We traveled through residential neighborhoods still along the waterfront. The course was very pleasant. The light drizzle did not bother me much. I reached km 10 in 1:10. The half-marathon runners turned around and we went on towards the countryside. The course became more and more hilly and the climbs quite steep.

 I saw Larry, Franck, Jim and Henry who had started one hour before us: I would see them again at the end of the race. I reached km 15 in 1:48. The countryside was pretty and the houses that we saw were as beautiful as some of the houses in the Hamptons. I had to slow down as the cold affected my gastric system and I had to wait to stop for a rest room stop as there was no restroom every mile. Once the problem resolved, I resumed the run with my usual pace and reached km 20 in 2:30. I finished the half-marathon in 2:39.  We turned around but ran an extra four-kilometer loop before taking the same route back.

There was much music and great entertainment. Police officers were in charge of our safety. The road was open to traffic but light signs were warning cars of the on-going race and drivers were very careful.  Uphills on the back run were as steep as before and I walked some of them. I passed km 25 in 3:10. It was no longer drizzling and there were more and more sunny intervals.  I reached km 30 in 3:53. I passed many runners. We switched to a bike track and traveled through some of the Portland suburbs. I reached km 35 in 4:34. The end of the race was near and we were back at the waterfront where I passed km 40 in 5:18.

I met my fellow runners of the year 2016 in the last yards and we crossed the finish line together in 5:40:26 (full distance in 5:36:27). We were able for once to take a picture together. Vincent and Jeff were the only ones missing. The five of us on the picture hold more than 5,000 marathons together. A Portland journalist who was intrigued and impressed interviewed us.

We parted with a “see you soon.” I picked up my bag, grabbed something to eat and got a massage from the Physical Therapy School of Portland. I walked back to my hotel for a relaxing shower and took my packets of Immun’Âge® as always after a marathon.

A very pleasant marathon with some difficulties but the course and scenery were very pleasant, and the organization up to the event.

Let’s meet on Friday for a three marathons series around Lake Tahoe in California and Nevada in fabulous scenery.

Have a nice week.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.


No Comments so far

Jump into a conversation

No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Leave a Reply